SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, September 18, 2017

How To Make Time For Yourself in College

This summer was definitely a summer of realizations for me. I did a quite a lot of thinking, and a lot of spending time alone. It was so nice to reflect on my school year and think about the highlights, but also consider the things I'd like to do differently in my sophomore year.

During my freshman year of college I felt like I was constantly among people which is fun, but also exhausting. I am someone that needs solitary time to replenish myself. I remember last year being difficult transitioning from living at home and having my own space, to living with roommates and being constantly surrounded by people. This year has been no different, however I have found strategies for creating time for myself and I'm here to share those tips!




1. Go do something by yourself
This is something I do so often. As much as it's a pain not having a car in LA, Zipcar is only one tap away and is legit only $7.50 an hour to rent a car (plus you don't have be 25 or pay for gas!). On Friday's I'm done with class at 11:20 which leaves plenty of time to do something fun to start off the weekend. The first week of school I went to the beach, but last Friday my roommates were all out doing things so I opted to head to Santa Monica alone. There's something so calming for me about shopping alone and, in general, just spending time alone.

2. Stay on your own schedule
Living with others sometimes forces me to live by other people's schedules. Planning when I'm going to shower, cook, etc. so that we're not all pressed for space is definitely something to get used to. However my roommates all like to go to bed early and I'm not someone that likes doing this. The beauty of having an apartment is being able to have extra space and spend time in the living room or kitchen. I've often been influenced by my roomies to go to bed when they do, but now I've realized that I just lay in bed doing nothing because I'm not tired yet when I could be productively finishing homework!

3. Allow yourself to have other friends
This is something I've definitely struggled with because I live with three of my best friends in college. However, I live with them so already I'm spending so much time with them. It's totally okay to branch out and spend time with other people. In fact, it's quite necessary so you don't get annoyed with spending too much time with your roommates ha ha.

4. Take the night off
Last year I felt like I was always trying to go out and in search of the best parties going on. This semester, not so much. I definitely still enjoy going out, but less than I used to. This past weekend I went to USC, but didn't end up being at the party for all that long. Saturday night I stayed in and hung with friends in their apartment. It was truly so refreshing to wake up thoroughly refreshed and not exhausted from the night before.

I'm eager to hear...what are your tips on making time for yourself in college?

Xoxo

2 comments :

  1. I love how you go out and explore all that LA has to offer. Do most colleges have zipcars?

    http://www.goldclutter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously so much fun! And a lot of universities do! Check on your university's website to make sure, but many college campuses opt to have zipcars available for their students!!

      Delete