SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

3 Easy Apartment Meals

Living in an apartment has opened a whole new world of cooking for me. At home I typically get super lazy and end up having my mom make me something (so needy) or just going out and buying something. I made a promise to myself this year that I would cook as many of my meals as possible and only eat out for a treat. Last year I ate out constantly because I hated the food on campus. But, this year it's so much more fun (and affordable) to cook here at home! It's definitely been trial and error in what works and what doesn't in terms of cooking, but I've been striving to make new and exciting (and also healthy!) meals. Here are three super easy and relatively healthy meals you can make in your apartment.


1. Veggie stir fry // Sauté your favorite vegetables in a saucepan with a bit of oil. If you're trying to cut back on oils just cook them in a bit of water to steam them. My favorites include carrots, onion, tomato, zucchini and broccoli. When your vegetables are soft add a bit of teriyaki sauce (my favorite is Trader Joe's soyaki) and let cook for about 3-5 more minutes. Finish the dish off by serving with brown rice and avocado.

2. Fish and veggies // Are you sensing my veggie enthusiasm? For some strange reason I can't really get enough... For this recipe I use frozen tilapia which is seriously so good. It takes only 5 minutes to thaw in a plastic bag set in a bowl with warm water. Cook according to your fish's instructions (for me it's about 25 minutes at 400 degrees). I season with lemon pepper and also bake some vegetables, typically brussel sprouts, cauliflower and tomatoes on the side. I toss these with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. So quick, one pan, and super healthy!

3. My favorite sandwich // This might not be the healthiest option ever, but I like to make this sandwich on Friday for a fun treat! I use two pieces of oat nut bread and put a bit of mayo or chipotle mayo on the bread. I then add turkey, a slice of cheese, cut heirloom tomatoes and arugula/spinach on top. I like to toast the bread to give it a little something extra, but this recipe is seriously so easy and so good!

I also wanted to share what I usually like to have stocked in my pantry/fridge throughout the week to make a few different recipes!


What's your favorite recipe to cook?

Xoxo

Post a Comment