SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Apartment Meals I Actually Eat

At the beginning of the year, I was so excited to have an apartment with a full kitchen so I could cook all of my meals. However, now the charm of having a kitchen has sort of worn off and I'm becoming pretty lazy when it comes to cooking. Being healthy is fairly easy in Los Angeles because everything seems to be gluten, dairy, and sugar-free. However, I tend to get really lazy when it comes to cooking because I want something fast, easy and fairly healthy. These are a few of my absolute favorite meals to make because they have all three of those qualities!

Avo toast + an egg
I actually just recently learned how to fry an egg and I'm really excited about it! Avocado toast is one of my go-to's because it's the best thing ever and semi-healthy. I usually keep my bread in the freezer so it doesn't go bad because I don't eat it quickly enough. Usually, I'll scramble one or two eggs and put them on the side or on top of the toast w/ a bit of salt + pepper! So easy and yummy.

Chicken, rice + brussel sprouts
This is one of my absolute favorite dinners. I used to buy fresh chicken breast, however, I never ate all of it and it would always go bad. I swear, half the battle of cooking in college is using up all the ingredients I buy! Now I buy frozen chicken (or tilapia) and cook it as needed. The Trader Joe's brown rice pouches are the best and cook in 3 minutes. For the sprouts, I cut them in half and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. I cook for 20 minutes or until crispy!

Tilapia tacos
Tacos are a go-to when hosting people in the apartment because they're really easy and can be made in bulk. I buy tilapia frozen and bake it for 15 minutes seasoned with salt, pepper and a bit of Trader Joe's seasoning. I eat it on corn tortillas with a bit of chipotle mayo, lettuce, cheese and avocado!

My favorite salads
I'm actually a huge salad enthusiast, and really like them when they have the right ingredients. I have two salads that I'm going to share with you that are absolutely amazing.

Fiesta salad - I used mixed greens in pretty much all of my salads, I usually like a blend of spinach and arugula. I add in some black beans, roasted corn, roasted onions, roasted red peppers, avocado and crushed tortilla chips on top. I use TJ's sriracha ranch for dressing!

Caesar salad - One of my favorite things to add on top of my salad is homemade croutons. I buy the mini loaf of pretzel bread from TJ's and chop it up into cubes. I season it with olive oil, salt + pepper and bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until crispy. Again, I used mixed greens, grilled chicken, parmesan cheese and these homemade croutons. I top it off with the Bolthouse Farms yogurt caesar dressing. Not the healthiest salad, but definitely delicious!

I'm always looking for new recipes to try in my teeny tiny kitchen. Please share with me below. What's a meal you actually make that you love?

Xoxo

Post a Comment