SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, April 22, 2016

This Week's Lesson

I haven't done one of these in a little while, but I feel like every week there is always some valuable lesson learned. This seems to be a lesson that I continually learn but it has to do with staying on top of things. I am probably the most forgetful person ever. I swear, I sometimes just don't have a memory. I feel awful constantly because people ask me to do things (aka my mom) and I simply just forget to. One time my mom asked me to get her ice cream so I went downstairs to go get it. Let's just say I finally brought it to her after going downstairs, finishing my homework, taking a shower and writing a blog post. But for real, I just completely forgot. 

So for my school if you're not doing well in any given class you can be on study table for a sport. Basically this means you have to do mandatory study hours that teacher or tutor must sign off on. Because I've missed two enviro tests I've been on study table for the past few weeks. Honestly, doing the hours is not even bad because I have two study halls a day and you only need to get a total of 2 hours of studying. Super easy honestly. But, like I mentioned, I am especially forgetful. Study table needs to be turned in at 4 pm on Friday so you can be eligible to participate in your sport the following week. Of course, I forgot. I didn't even realize I had forgotten until mid-day Saturday when I was taking a shower and I freaked out. I had planned on going to school Monday for first period (it was a senior oriented senior ditch day!), but ended up just not going to school at all. Seniors had Tuesday off for testing so come Wednesday I was absolutely terrified to go talk to the athletic director and turn it in. I kept putting it off for a portion of the day and then I finally said to myself, ¨Katelyn, you´re going to college 2,000 miles away in four months and you're scared to turn in a dumb study table sheet.¨ 

Let me get something straight, I'm really not nervous at all for college. I wouldn't move to California for school if I didn't think I could do it. But it's the little things that seem to get me. I was scared she would yell at me or tell me I couldn't play in my match later that day or tell me I needed to do something extra. But finally, once I took a deep breath and worked up the courage to go turn it in she legit just said, "Thanks!" and that was it. All of that buildup for literally nothing.

This lesson taught me a few things. One, try and stay on top of your sh** because life will be so much easier if you just do things when you´re asked to. For me this means making to-do lists, writing everything in a planner and having constant reminders so I don't forget things. And two, if you do slip up, you´re going to have to deal with the consequences so just admit that you messed up, and take your punishment. In this even there was no punishment anyways, it was just a matter of finally turning it in. 

As senior year comes to a close I am realizing that in four months I'm going to be completely on my own for the most part, in a new city with new people. Like I said, I'm 2,000 miles away from home so I can't just ask my mom to call the athletic office and do me a favor. I'm 18 1/2 years old and need to handle things on my own!

Anyways, have an awesome weekend!!

What did you learn this week?


Post a Comment